One of the most common causes of hearing loss is age. The average person reaches the age of 80 years old and experiences a decline in hearing as they get older. According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) about 25 percent of those between the ages of 65 and 74 experience hearing loss. This can be a big problem for those who need to hear well, such as voice-over artists, speech therapists, and other professionals who rely on hearing to do their job.
If you’re experiencing poor hearing, an audiologist can help you improve it. An audiologist is a doctor who specializes in audiology, which is the study of sound and hearing. They will help you evaluate your hearing and find ways to improve it. They can also give you exercises to improve your hearing.
There are also some things that you can do on your own to improve your experience. Here are three tips to help you improve your hearing:
- Get a good hearing aid. A good hearing aid will improve your sound quality and make you hear better. There’s an audiology practice serving Colorado Springs that works with all major hearing aid manufacturers. They have hearing specialists that ensure you get the right hearing aid for your needs.
- Use earplugs when listening to music or watching TV. Earplugs protect your ears from noise and allow you to listen more clearly.
- Get regular checkups with a doctor to determine if you’re experiencing any changes in your hearing that might be caused by aging or another factor.
What are the causes of hearing loss?
There are many causes of hearing loss, but some of the most common are:
- Age. As people get older, their hearing ability declines and they may not be able to hear as well as they used to.
- Noise. When there’s a lot of noise in your environment, your hearing might not be as good as it used to be as loud noises can cause hearing loss.
- Abuse. If you’re a victim of abuse, your hearing may be affected too.
- Genetics. Some people are born with a low threshold of hearing and must use special ear-tracking devices to listen to the sound.
What should you do if you notice any changes in your hearing?
If you notice any changes in your hearing, it’s important to get a doctor, specifically a hearing specialist or audiologist, to look into it. A specialist can test your hearing and see if there are any changes that might be causing your hearing loss. If there are problems, the doctor can take steps to correct them. They can also check to see if you need to take any measures to improve your hearing, like wearing a hearing aid or using earplugs.
Get regular checkups with a specialist.
One of the most important things you can do to improve your hearing is to get regular checkups with a hearing specialist or an audiologist. This will help to determine if there are any changes in your hearing that might be causing a decline in your hearing. By getting regular checkups, you can keep track of any changes so you can make the necessary adjustments and prevent any future loss of hearing.